Students and parents are notified via email, this website, and the Facebook group, about auditions as soon as dates and times are determined by the director. Dates and information are also posted on signage throughout school. Your student only needs to attend one audition and will be notified if they need to attend callbacks if any (a second reading upon director request). Roles consist of actors, set crew/tech, and musicians (for musicals).
- Actor – Auditions consist of doing cold readings from the script, as well as sample singing and dancing for musicals.
- Set Crew/Tech – Set crew students are backstage and move props and set pieces during scene transitions, etc. Tech students help with sound and lighting. Students on set crew/tech:
- Do not audition, but they do need to complete forms and fees before auditions. Tech crew applicants are also encouraged to attend auditions to ensure their registrations are complete and to introduce themselves to the director.
- Do not need to attend early rehearsals – they typically engage 2-3 weeks prior to performances.
Please be aware, need-based scholarships are available for both the District Activity fee and JTC’s participation fee. Qualification for a scholarship is considered on an individual basis, and qualification for free or reduced lunch is not required. Please contact the director of the show for which you are auditioning for details. General inquires may be directed to Laura Schimit at Director@JeffersonTheatreCompany.org.
Audition Forms and Process
Three steps need to be completed prior to auditioning:
- Online Bloomington Activity registration. This process is exactly the same as it is for for sports, marching band or show choir. Make sure to go all the way through the process, even if the amount in your care is $0. Registration is not complete unless you do. Everyone must register here regardless of role (Acting vs. Tech or Free/Reduced Lunch). This is a Minnesota State High School League requirement. Contact the Counseling office if you have issues or questions with this type of registration.
- Audition Form completed. A student photo and/or resume may be emailed to Auditions@JeffersonTheatreCompany.org
- Show fees paid by check made payable to “JTC”. Or pay online via our online payment system (fees apply).
FAILURE TO COMPLETE ANY OF THESE STEPS BY THE END OF AUDITIONS MEANS YOU WILL NOT BE CAST IN THE CURRENT JTC PRODUCTION.
At the time of the audition, the adults running the registration process will either tell you what you are missing or confirm that you have completed all the steps.
When you attend auditions, you will be on a list of students with completed paperwork/fees. Lists are run at the end of the school day during an audition. If you register after 4:00 the day of auditions, please be prepared to bring a receipt showing you have registered to the audition.
After auditions, the cast list is both posted on the stage door and online usually within a week. We also communicate cast lists via email and Facebook.
If you are not cast in the play, the MSHSL fee will be returned to the card you used to pay it, and your JTC fee will be refunded.